Sunday, April 3, 2011

Week 1: Reading (copyright)

The videos confirmed what I had always thought about copyright. It's confusing! I also found that I am guilty of the thought of "as long as I'm not making money off of it, it's ok". I do feel better knowing that there are allowances for use in education, which is where most of my concerns have been focused. The Fairy Tale video was a little hard to watch, but the point was clear. My question now is I wonder how Disney would feel about a "hypothetical" teacher using Scene It! as a fun educational tool in their classroom? It is a game that was paid for, but does that cover the used with an entire class???

I also enjoyed the clip about Shepherd Fairey. I have conducted a lesson on graffiti where the students made their own "tags" that were hung up like a brick wall in the Art hallway. At the beginning of the lesson when I was sharing examples, I made sure to stress that there is a difference between painting buildings with permission and doing it illegally. If I were to have a chance to do the lesson again, I could add a follow up session discussing Shepherd's work and others like him such as Ron English. The discussion would start with, "Is it ok to hijack a company's billboard, advertisement or space to make a social or political statement or to raise awareness?"  If you have not had a chance to watch the movie Popaganda, aired on the Ovation network, I would highly recommend checking it out!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent observations and comments. My guess is that the "Scene-It" game has a clause that says that this product is licensed for private use and, alas, a classroom is not a private space, even private classroom are not legally considered private spaces. So... yes, you'd have to look for different licensing will usually goes into the hundreds of dollars. Sorry about that. I'm going to have to look up the movie that you mention. sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete