Sunday, April 3, 2011

Week 1: Peer Comment @ Danette Philpot

From Danette:
Copyright, it is has been a great topic of discussion in my other line of work of photography. It was not mentioned in the discussion, but each photo or digital image was created by a person. The average person feels that there is no harm for copying an image off the internet and posting to Facebook, twitter or their own personal website. Just last week the Professional Photographers of America polled several members on the use of copyrights and their imagines. The results were astounding! Of the 2,830 that took the poll, (84%) 2,392 photographers NEVER register their work. 41 (1%) ALWAYS register. 324 (11%) OCCASIONALLY register. These are professional that make a living at creating images. It goes to show not matter on what platform you create, educate yourself and protect your work.


@ Danette
That is a great point! I totally missed a teachable moment last year with my middle schoolers. Many of them were apprehensive about creating works from scratch (the former teacher had provided template like projects...). I had them search the net for generic pictures on Google images that they would then transfer as line drawings onto their paper. I was not grade them on the actual picture, but more of how they finished them. This seemed to really help the students when I had them do self portraits in the same manner, but for the other pictures the only thing I stressed was no logos. I could/should have spent A LOT more time on copyright with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment